March 22, 2013

Chocolate Honey-Pecan Cupcakes

I love to try new things in the kitchen.  Well, what I really mean by that is I love to try new recipes.  I am not a pioneer in the kitchen.  I almost never experiment and create a recipe all by myself.  Instead, I find something that looks good and make that.  The most adventurous I typically get is modifying whatever recipe I'm using (and usually only a tad).  Well, today I took a giant leap out of my comfort zone and I tried something new.  I made Chocolate Honey Pecan cupcakes...from scratch...and WITHOUT a recipe!  Here's the crazy thing- they turned out GREAT!  I was so surprised.  I was just so thrilled I tried to remember exactly what I had done and now I want to share it with you!  Hope you enjoy!

Cupcake Mix
2 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsps. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 1/3 cups Water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare muffin tins.

Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. 

In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer set on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add dry mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just till combined.   Fold in 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips. 

Pour batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.  Bake 20 minutes.

Honey/ Pecan Icing
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 ounces whipped honey-nut cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Beat butter and both types of cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and then vanilla; mix until smooth.

Last but not least, decorate your cupcakes (and please don't judge my crazy looking' swirls- I am not naturally gifted in the cake decorating skill).



1 comments:

JShelby said...

that's amazing! Congrats on creating an awesome recipe!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review